L19* personality

Member News, Reunions, New DNA Test Result's, etc.

L19* personality

Postby Yacine » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Francis De St. Jeor

He was Bishop of Clover, Tooele county, Utah, from 1882 to 1901, is the son of Francis John De St. Jeor and Marie Macee, and was born July 11, 1822, in the parish of St. John, on the island of Jersey (one of the Channel Islands). Bro. De St. Jeor writes: "My father served as a soldier under Napoleon and died when I was about eleven years old, leaving my mother with four children. I was sent to France to live with my grandfather, who sent me to school, intending to have me trained for the Roman Catholic ministry. When my grandfather died, my mother had me apprenticed to learn the shoemakers' trade. I took an active part in the Protestant church Sunday school work. Feb. 26, 1842, I married Elizabeth Jeon, and soon afterward moved to Ganville, France, where we remained several months, and then returned to Jersey Island. In the meantime the gospel was introduced and a branch of the Church established on the island. Later three Elders (John Banks, Thos. B. H. Stenhouse and Wm. C. Dunbar) from England came and commenced to hold meetings. I was invited by a neighbor to attend one of these meetings, which I did more out of curiosity than anything else. I listened to the sermon, and purchased some books and tracts which I carefully studied. When I went to meeting again, I offered myself as a candidate for baptism, and was consequently baptized Nov. 9, 1849, by Elder Wm. C. Dunbar. • I received a strong testimony of the divinity of the great Latter-day Work at the time. I was ordained a Priest 1/y Elder Wm. C. Dunbar June 3. 18S'T and sent out to preach the gospel. On this my first mission I had the privilege of baptizing quite a number of people. A branch was soon organized at St. John and I, being ordained an Elder by John Pack, was set apart to preside over the same. I labored as a missionary in various parts of the Channel Islands, till March 30, 1855, when, together with my family and others, I bid farewell to the island of my birth and started for Zion. We crossed the Atlantic on the ship "Chlmborazo," Edward Stevenson being president of the company, and landed at Philadelphia May 21, 1855. We crossed the plains in Charles A. Harper's company in which I served as captain of ten. We arrived in Salt Lake City Oct. 29, 1855. I settled in Tooele, Tooe-' le county, where I resided till December, 1856, when I moved to Rush valley. Being commissioned a captain by Gov. Brigham Young in 1857, I organized a company of militia, in the defense of the Saints. May 9, 1857, I was ordained a Seventy and set apart to act as a president in the 43rd quorum. During the "move" in 1858 I made my temporary home in Lehi.Utah county. I assisted in establishing the first Sunday school in Rush valley. In 1864 I married Harriet Le Masur, and moved to Deseret, Millard county, in January, 1866; but after enduring many hardships at that place, and losing crops and labor, I returned to Rush valley, where I again began to make a home, and by the blessings of the Lord and the kindness of friends I was soon quite comfortable. When the St. Johns Ward was organized June 24, 1877, I was chosen second counselor in the Bishopric, being ordained a High Priest by Pres. John Taylor. The Clover Ward was organized July 22, 1882, on which occasion I was chosen to act as Bishop of the new Ward. I was ordained and set apart to that office by Apostle Francis M. Lyman, and labored to the best of my ability as Bishop of Clover Ward until June 16, 1901, when I was honorably released. A few days later (June 20, 1901,) I was ordained a Patriarch by Apostle Heber J. Grant. I am the father of eleven children, eight of whom are living. I have 51 grandchildren and 13 greatgrandchildren."

https://familysearch.org/photos/stories/1972278
https://history.lds.org/overlandtravels ... de-st-jeor
Yacine

Re: L19* personality

Postby Yacine » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Suzanne Malveaux

was born on December 4, 1966 in Lansing, Michigan, USA as Suzanne M. Malveaux.
Graduated cum laude from Harvard University with a degree in sociology; a classmate was future CNN reporter Soledad O'Brien. She graduated with a master's degree in broadcasting from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism in 1991.
First name is pronounced Sue-zahn.
Her father, Floyd J. Malveaux, is a prominent African-American doctor who became the dean of the College of Medicine at Howard University; he is now the executive director of the Merck Childhood Asthma Network and a founder of Howard University's National Human Genome Center. Her mother is the former Myrna Maria Ruiz, a retired schoolteacher.
Born into a New Orleans-based family of African, Spanish, and French descent. Her father is of Louisiana French Creole descent.
She has three siblings: Suzette M. Malveaux (twin with Suzanne and an associate professor at the Columbus School of Law, Catholic University of America), Courtney M. Malveaux (the assistant attorney general for the state of Virginia and chairman of the Richmond Republican Committee), Gregory F. Malveaux (an associate professor of English at Montgomery College).
Economist Julianne Malveaux is a distant cousin.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2191070/bio
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanne_Malveaux
Yacine

Postby Yacine » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:40 am

Neil Oliver

received_1646027632307194.jpeg
Yacine

Postby Yacine » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:49 am

Joggi Mohler (1590-1653)

Joggi (Jacob) Mohler was born on 11/29/1590 in Diegten. His living he earned as Müller and later as an innkeeper. In the Peasants' War he fought at the forefront as one of the leaders in the canton Basel landscape. After the crackdown Mohler was sentenced to death and beheaded on 07/14/1653 before Steinentor in Basel.
Yacine

Postby Yacine » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:41 am

Sidi Ahmad Ou-Moussa (v.1460-1563)

the Tazerwalt patron saint

He studied for many years in Marrakech with great masters, then, long time, he is going to travel, perhaps to the Orient. In 1521, he returned in the Souss in Ilmatene and will install later in the Tazeroualt where he died in 1563. Since then, it has remained one of the most renowned saints in Chleuhs who know him mostly by troops of acrobats of Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa.
Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa was a very simple man who attaches more value to intuition and mysticism that reasoning to scholarship and knowledge of the Arabic language.
One day Sidi Ahmed preached to his circle of listeners, having betrayed his tongue made him a grammatical mistake. Hearing this, one of his Contributes, aadel in Taroudant, thought to himself: "What we would Cheikh there if he knew only a little grammar! ". Hardly had he thought that the Sheikh turned to him, repeated the Hadit without fault and said simply, "Here I put the accusative without knowing grammar! ". And he added: "The language that vocalise the words, it will perish! God grant that it be saved in the day of the rally! To the one who will have no pity, what use of grammar? And what harm a barbarous language (any language other than Arabic) he may make a pious man? ".
This focus on the spirit of piety sheds light on the fact that he founded or brotherhood or zaouïa. When asked why he refused to have disciples and found a Zaouia, Sidi Ahmed responded by placing a finger to his temple, "He who will enter Paradise will look out" (= Satisfy you to follow my example). Or: "No one carries out his business in this world and none are reached his desire ;; ; What a misfortune to be a slave to this world and money! ".
Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa was a man of great reputation, its religious influence was huge and gave him an almost absolute authority. We even came from the East to visit the Saint Tazeroualt.
Since the advent of Sultan Moulay Abdallah in 1557, personal relations were established between him and Sidi Ahmed. Indeed, the Sultan wished to have a spiritual leader and ordered an emissary to find the best Sheiks of Morocco. The latter, after extensive research and returned to the palace of the Holy Tazeroualt said he was the most illustrious man, the most humble and the most pious he had met and it was him that it was necessary .
The Sultan then set out to meet him and ask him to be his intercessor with God and let him get possession of his kingdom without a struggle or fighting and strengthen his power because he did not feel safe. Sidi Ahmed then made an invocation in his favor: "O Arabs! O Imazighen! O plains and mountains! Obey Sultan Abdallah and do not have a quarrel with him! ". Having obtained this protection, the Sultan was three days and then returned to Marrakech.
Some time later, Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa went to Marrakech in pious visit to the Saints in the city where he was treated to a walkabout of the people who wanted to see him and receive his Baraka. Learning this, Moulay Abdallah invited to the palace for a dinner during which the Saint ate nothing. Later, when we asked why, he replied: "Who makes the meal Sultan, even lawful, wronged her heart for forty days. If he eats is doubtful, it will have the heart dead for forty years. " One might think that this reaction was due to the profligacy of the Sultan or his entourage.
At that time, Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa was revered by both Arabs and Amazigh. The antagonism between them was quite vivid in the South and the Saint often managed to ease tensions with its aura. Here is the scene:
An Arab storyteller and listeners sit in a circle around him. If the storyteller and his congregation are Arabs, some in the circle are the Imazighen. Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa approaches them all and said, laughing: "O Arabs! Tell us therefore something Arabic! ". Hearing the Sheikh to go well with Arabs, Amazigh whisper among themselves, saying: "The Arabs took us (that is to say, the Arabs away from us our Holy)". The storyteller hears this reflection and going in the same direction, he told his Arab companions: "You people! So talk about your business! (As Ahmed Ou-Moussa do you demand and without worrying about the Amazigh to be held outside the circle). " Hearing these words of division and segregation, fit to revive the racial discord, Sheikh soon intervenes, saying: "My friends! In this assembly of ours, there is no edge; it's the middle across from the throne to the carpet ".
With these words, Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa understood to mean Arabs and Amazigh are equal and do not form opposing factions, it can not exist precedence between each other and harmony should reign between them.
The whole life of Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa teaches us that it never sought temporal power. He was a man of great virtue who never objected to the Makhzen despite her through and which allowed the Sultan to maintain its authority over the southern tribes by its spiritual influence.
The mausoleum of Sidi Ahmed Ou-Moussa, the Zaouia (founded after his death) and the mosque are, nowadays, a few kilometers east of Iligh.

D.Jacques-Meunié. "Morocco Saharan origins to 1670"
Yacine

Postby Yacine » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:43 am

Dynasty of Tazerwalt or House of Illigh

In the seventeenth century Tazerwalt formed a small independent state ruled by the House of Illigh. Sidi Ahmed Moussa Or Semlali (around 1463 - around 1563), a mystical founded his own zaouia (monastery). The conquests of his great-grand-son Sidi Bou Ali AIMD (Abu Hassoun, 1613-1659) enabled him to be a kingdom stretching on Tazeroualt the Souss and the pre-Saharan region between the Wadi Souss and Draa .

Destroyed by Moulay Rachid in 1670, Illigh found a political position at the end of the eighteenth century in Sidi Hashim bin Ali al-Ilighi (died 1825), hence the name of State Sidi Hashim given the nineteenth century this principality who held a prominent role in the trans-Saharan trade.

In 1882, Sultan Moulay Hassan I managed to submit the last ruler Sidi Hossein bin Hashem (1842-1886).

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazeroualt

TazerualtMap.jpg

TreeTazer.jpg
Yacine

Return to Group News